Check out the Mac & Cheese Muffins from Emily Bites.
We tried this recipe for the 4th of July and it was pretty good, a little bland for our liking
(we like lots of flavor and spicy things) but overall is was pretty good and super easy to make.
4 c cooked whole wheat or high fiber macaroni
1 T butter
1 T flour
1 c skim milk
1 garlic clove, minced
3 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
3 oz Gruyere cheese, shredded
1 egg white
1 (10 oz) package of frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, drained and patted dry (or you could use 1 cup cooked fresh spinach)
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400. Lightly mist a 12-cup muffin tin with olive oil or cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a small sauce pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour, mixing it into the butter until thick. Stir in the milk and garlic and raise the temp to bring the mixture to just under a boil. Add the cheese and whisk mixture together until thoroughly combined into a cheese sauce. (I would suggest using a little more cheese, probably doubling the amount the recipe calls for. It might not be so healthy but it will taste much better!)
3. Remove the cheese sauce from heat and then mix in the egg and egg white (binding agents) until combined.
4. In a large bowl, combine the pasta, spinach, cheese sauce, salt and pepper and mix together. Spoon the mixture evenly into the cups of your prepared muffin tin.
5. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the tops slightly brown. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin.
Next on our list is the Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese Muffins from Emily Bites. Love this website, so glad I found it!
Have a great 4th of July weekend!